The Bridge

Tags


Today I finished my on and off project “the bridge”. A couple of months ago I started modelling the bridge and did first experiments with the light. Like so often, they posed some problems for me and I lost interest in working on this project.
Yesterday I suddenly thought that I have to finish this scene. So, I put some loud music on and started working.
After lighting I discovered a new big problem. My laptop is too weak to render grass (which I created with fur). It’s really annoying because it’s the second thing after Shatter-Effects that my notebook can’t handle.

Fortunately this morning I got a reason to lift my mood: Maya 2012.
But the joy was only preliminary and so I had big problems with the new version. I always got this error report:
// Error: setParent: Object ‘renderView’ not found.
After long time spent googling, I found the solution on this site:
http://animbyu.groups.et.byu.net/wiki/index.php?title=RenderView_fix

A really big challenge in this picture was the night lighting. It took a long time to get halfway decent lights.

bridge

Although I am not satisfied, I finished this scene to have time for my other projects.
Perhaps I’m going to get the possibility to work with a more powerful computer for the grass some day, because I’m not pleased with paint effects or textures.

Render Time: 57:44 min.
Okay, I think I should invest some time in rendering optimization.

2 Responses to “The Bridge”

  1. SME says:

    I’m also having this same problem in Maya 2012: Error: setParent: Object ‘renderView’ not found. and I looked into the wiki link you placed, but unfortunatelly my knowledge of programming is not enough to understand this.
    Could you explain “in plain english” how this is resolved.

    Thanks.

    SME

  2. admin says:

    I only copied the “Final Solution” code lines (from the wiki-entry) in my Maya Script-Editor, marked the lines and pressed Strg+Enter.

    Final Solution:

    $exists=0;
    for ($item in `getPanel -scriptType “renderWindowPanel”`) {
    if ( $item == “renderView” ) {
    print “renderView exists.\n”;
    $exists=1;
    }
    }
    if ( $exists == 0 ) {
    for ($item in `getPanel -scriptType “renderWindowPanel”`) {
    //print ( $item + “\n”);
    if ( $item == “renderWindowPanel1″ ) {
    //delete it and rename it to something that renderman can use
    print “renderWindowPanel1 detected: switching to renderView so renderman can use it…\n”;
    deleteUI renderWindowPanel1;
    $renderPanel = `scriptedPanel -type “renderWindowPanel” -unParent renderView`;
    scriptedPanel -e -label `interToUI $renderPanel` $renderPanel;
    }
    }
    }

    In the first seven lines, Maya checks if there is a render view. If there is none, the second part of the script will be executed.
    Line 9 finds a render view that is available. And the last three lines delete the original Render Panel and replace it with a new render view panel which should now be working :)

    Unfortunately you have to do this every time you start maya, unless it es a scene you created with maya 2012.


Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2014 ReaSchmidt.com. Icons by Wefunction. Designed by Woo Themes